So I attended a kinky reading group for the first time last night. The book, as mentioned previously, was Story of O. (It's organized through the Boston chapter of TNG, "The Next Generation" of kinksters or whatever, which I tend to call "the kinky kids club." I mean, "The Next Generation?" That's kinda creepy to me. But anyway.) There were ten people there, all of us crammed into a table at a bar, five men and five women. Despite it being an 18-35 group I felt kinda young; I think it tended more towards the 35 end, where the coffee-meetup thing felt more balanced. This didn't really bother me; I was worried people wouldn't take me seriously but that wasn't a problem at all. Other people had the kinky expertise (there's so much terminology I don't know!) and I had the literary expertise, and it worked out fine.
The book discussion started off a little tentative but actually got really good for a while. We made comparisons to Justine and talked about the book's effects on the general culture as well as the kinky subculture. ("It's like every damn collar at the Fetish Fair has the Roissy symbol on it.") I have to say that reading it with a critical eye instead of a lustful one turns up a lot of problems --- we discussed those problems but also discussed some of the interesting possible implications of the places where the novel sort of disintegrates, especially the ending. I came up with the idea on the fly of tying it to the Circe chapter of Ulysses --- I need to read Venus In Furs and then follow up on that connection.
When the food came, the book discussion more or less petered out; fortunately, it took a while. I ate sweet potato fries, since I'm vegan and that was about what I could have eaten on the menu. (I could have had a salad, hold the cheese, dressing, meat, and honey-glazed walnuts, I guess.) They were really tasty though, so it was all good :) Talk then moved to more kinky stuff, and in general the taking down of social boundaries; people talked about having non-consensual fantasies quite freely. At first I was like "Oh my God I can't believe you are saying this" then I thought about it for a minute and laughed at myself. After all, I totally have nonconsensual fantasies, probably influenced by reading O and other such books as a teenager. The guy who was talking about "What's the big deal with incest?" was a bit odder, mostly because instead of discussing the topic he was just like "Those objections don't make any sense!" when the rest of that half of the table was like "Ummm, they actually do, kinda..." But even he was talking in a social theory sense and nothing was seriously squicky, at least to me.
We're going to do it again... some Wednesday in December, I think? It was definitely cool enough to be worth going again. I can pass information on to any interested locals, though you should totally get on the Boston TNG list if you want to hear about this sort of thing. (There's a LiveJournal community, but as best I can tell it is totally defunct.) Apparently the next book is The Marketplace by Laura Antoniou. I haven't ordered it yet, but I will shortly; if you want to borrow it from me when I'm done, let me know.
The book discussion started off a little tentative but actually got really good for a while. We made comparisons to Justine and talked about the book's effects on the general culture as well as the kinky subculture. ("It's like every damn collar at the Fetish Fair has the Roissy symbol on it.") I have to say that reading it with a critical eye instead of a lustful one turns up a lot of problems --- we discussed those problems but also discussed some of the interesting possible implications of the places where the novel sort of disintegrates, especially the ending. I came up with the idea on the fly of tying it to the Circe chapter of Ulysses --- I need to read Venus In Furs and then follow up on that connection.
When the food came, the book discussion more or less petered out; fortunately, it took a while. I ate sweet potato fries, since I'm vegan and that was about what I could have eaten on the menu. (I could have had a salad, hold the cheese, dressing, meat, and honey-glazed walnuts, I guess.) They were really tasty though, so it was all good :) Talk then moved to more kinky stuff, and in general the taking down of social boundaries; people talked about having non-consensual fantasies quite freely. At first I was like "Oh my God I can't believe you are saying this" then I thought about it for a minute and laughed at myself. After all, I totally have nonconsensual fantasies, probably influenced by reading O and other such books as a teenager. The guy who was talking about "What's the big deal with incest?" was a bit odder, mostly because instead of discussing the topic he was just like "Those objections don't make any sense!" when the rest of that half of the table was like "Ummm, they actually do, kinda..." But even he was talking in a social theory sense and nothing was seriously squicky, at least to me.
We're going to do it again... some Wednesday in December, I think? It was definitely cool enough to be worth going again. I can pass information on to any interested locals, though you should totally get on the Boston TNG list if you want to hear about this sort of thing. (There's a LiveJournal community, but as best I can tell it is totally defunct.) Apparently the next book is The Marketplace by Laura Antoniou. I haven't ordered it yet, but I will shortly; if you want to borrow it from me when I'm done, let me know.
(no subject)
Date: 2008-11-21 07:49 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2008-11-22 03:26 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2008-11-22 04:21 am (UTC)Come to think of it, every piece of long-form BDSM fantasy I've read starts to have this problem. I get bored with the same thing happening over and over. It was hot when I was still new to the whole idea, and each variation on the general theme was new - but now I'm a jaded old toy.
(no subject)
Date: 2008-11-22 01:28 pm (UTC)I haven't read much other long-form BDSM fantasy because I'm absurdly picky about the writing style of things I read, and most of them fail sooooooo much. But I'm not surprised. I'll report back on The Marketplace when I get to it...
(no subject)
Date: 2008-11-22 03:44 pm (UTC)If The Story Of O was written today, it would be just another unfinished series on one of the sex stories archives. It feels badly-executed in exactly the same way most those do. Long, exacting descriptions of outfits that turn the author on? Check. Awkward, dull segment where the author attempts to deal with the narrative consequences of the choices the characters are forced to make for hotness? Check. Writing that's only polished when describing the kinky parts? Check.
(no subject)
Date: 2008-11-22 04:50 pm (UTC)Got any recommendations for anything better?
(no subject)
Date: 2008-11-22 04:50 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2008-11-22 05:51 pm (UTC)Sadly, I can't really think of anything better. The only erotica I've ever read that engaged my narrative sense along with my libido is Phil Foglio's comic book Xxxenophile, which was a series of eight-page SF/fantasy sex stories.
Anne Rice's Beauty trilogy has the "mom's nightstand" position in my life. What I remember of it leaves me quite sure that it would not fare well if I re-read it.